Accounts Payable Specialist
Provides financial, administrative, and clerical support by ensuring payments are completed and expenses are controlled by receiving payments, processing, verifying and reconciling invoices according to established policies and procedures in an efficient, timely and accurate manner.
Other Responsibilities In this position, you will supervise and oversee work quality for a team of Accounts Payable Representatives and perform the following tasks:
- Review, monitor, and continually improve accounts payable process and controls
- Train, hire, and supervise Accounts Payable staff
- Electronic Payables Administration and oversight
- Resolve escalated issues
- Set up new clients on Electronic Payables System
- Must have Construction and QuickBooks online experience.
- Match purchase orders to invoices and enter invoices into computer
- Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports and recording entries
- Pay vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, verifying federal id numbers, scheduling, and preparing checks, resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; insuring credit is received for outstanding memos, issuing stop-payments or purchase order amendments
- Pay employees by receiving and verifying expense reports for advances, preparing checks
- Maintain accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions
- Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements. Enter new or update vendor names and data
- Report sales taxes by calculating requirements on paid invoices
- Provide accurate and effective document preparation and records management relative to the AP function in accordance with records retention policies and procedures
- Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS/EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED; Associates Degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school preferred
- 1-3 years accounts payables
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, regulatory standards, and compliance requirements
- General math skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, including the ability to operate computerized accounting and spreadsheet programs
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality
- Excellent data entry skills
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress and time management skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Exceptional computer skills in the operation and functioning of all programs used by the organization, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, QuickBooks, ADP
Typical Mental Demands:
- Able to analyze, organize, summarize, and articulate complex legal and financial information
- Good command of the English language and be able to proofread work
- Able to read and interpret agreements, then implement the relevant provisions of these agreements
- Detailed, organized and communicative
- Understanding, yet persuasive and decisive when dealing with others in the organization
- Responsive team player with ability to quickly prioritize among numerous pressing tasks
- Task and goal oriented and capable of functioning in an entrepreneurial and corporate setting
- Able to prioritize and work with multiple supervisors
- While most of SMCS projects are local to the main office, infrequent, travel may be required on a project-to-project basis.
- Prolonged sitting. May require some bending, stooping, twisting, and/or stretching from seated or standing positions.
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity enough to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator, and other office equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate information via telephone or computer.
- Requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Must be able to lift 10lbs or more.’
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location